Almond Apple Cake
I've made this cake at least 100 times. It always comes out perfect and delicious. It is one of my family's favourites and I made this one for my mother's birthday. This cake is wonderful with a hot cup of coffee or tea. Happy Birthday Mom.
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup almonds, sliced
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 350F. Butter and flour a 9 inch springform pan.
2. In a bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Stir into the eggs, yogurt, butter and almond extract.
4. Stir wet ingredients into the flour mixture just until combined.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Arrange apples over the batter.
6. For the topping; combine almonds, sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle the topping over apples.
7. Bake for 1 hour or until cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.