Summer Berry Ice Cream
Recipe by Dragon
Inspired by David Lebovitz
David Lebovitz is the king of all frozen treats! No, really, he is. His book, The Perfect Scoop, is a treasure box of ice creams, frozen yogurts, sorbets and granitas. His techniques for making the perfect ice cream was the inspiration for my Summer Berry Ice Cream.
Makes: 1 1/2 quarts
2 cups raspberries
2 cups strawberries
1 cup blueberries
1 cup blackberries
2 tablespoons framboise (raspberry liquor, optional)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon liquid honey
2 cups heavy cream
4 large egg yolks
1. In a blender, puree the berries. Press the puree through a strainer to remove any seeds. Stir the framboise and lemon juice into the berry puree and refrigerate until needed.
2. Pour the cream into a large bowl and set the bowl in an ice bath.
3. Heat the milk, sugar, corn syrup and honey in a sauce pan over medium heat.
4. In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Temper the eggs with a little of the milk mixture. Add the rest of the milk mixture to the eggs. Stir constantly or the eggs will begin to cook.
5. Scrape the egg mixture into the sauce pan over medium heat. Stir the mixture constantly until it thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Pour through a strainer into the cream bowl.
6. Add the berry puree into the cream and stir over the ice bath until it is cool.
7. Chill the cream for about 4 hours. Transfer the cream to an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions.
8. Place ice cream in an airtight container and freeze for a minimum of 3 hours before serving.
9. Serve with fresh berries and drizzle top with honey.