Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips and Walnuts
Bananas never go to waste in my home. This summer I even used it in ice cream. This banana bread is wonderfully moist. The sweetness comes from the chocolate and the toasted walnuts give this bread added texture and flavour.
Makes one 9-inch loaf
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 9x5x2 1/2-inch loaf pan.
2. Whisk first 4 ingredients in medium bowl to blend.
3. Combine chocolate chips and walnuts in small bowl; add 1 tablespoon flour mixture and toss to coat.
4. Beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until well blended. Beat in eggs one at a time.
5. Beat in mashed bananas, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
6. Beat in flour mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts into the mixture. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
7. Bake bread until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Turn out onto rack and cool.
This is my entry in summer version of Waiter There's Something In My... Picnic.