Summer Mango Fire Salad with Grilled Shrimp
Recipe by Dragon
Serves: 2 mains
This salad is summer to me. It is a perfect blend of sweet, salty, sour and hot. I call this a fire salad, not just because it's a bit spicy, but because it looks like a fire in a bowl with the vibrant colours of the mango, peppers and onion. I worked on this one all last summer and I think I finally have it right. Enjoy!
If you don't like shrimp, you can substitute it with 2 chicken breasts. Just remember to marinate the chicken for at least an hour before you grill it. The salad is also great on its own; just save the extra dressing for another night.
1/4 cup cilantro, loosely packed
1/4 cup mint, loosely packed
zest of 1 lime
juice of 2 limes
juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
pinch of hot pepper flakes (optional, depending on how much heat you like)
1/8 teaspoon of Tabasco/hot sauce (optional, depending on how much heat you like)
1 mango (ripe but still firm), sliced into long strips
1/3 red pepper, sliced into long strips
1/3 yellow pepper, sliced into long strips
1/3 orange pepper, sliced into long strips
1/2 small red onion, sliced very thinly
12 large shrimp, cleaned and shelled
1. Finely chop the cilantro and mint together.
2. Whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
3. Take 1/2 the dressing and add it to the shrimp in a glass bowl. Mix well. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to marinate for a 1/2 hour.
4. Toss together mango, peppers, and onions with the remaining dressing. Refrigerate until the shrimp is grilled.
5. Grill/sauté the shrimp until they are plump and pink. Be careful not to overcook them.
6. Serve the salad with the warm shrimp on top.