Savoury Butter Crackers
Recipe by Laura Calder
I have to warn you, these crackers will melt in your mouth and disappear quickly. I made these for my latest 7 Deadly Sins Dinner and they were to be served with the cheese course (fifth course)...my greedy guests devoured them before we were done with the aperitifs! I can't blame them, these are little bites of perfection.
I didn't change the recipe at all but I did play with the toppings; herbes de Provence, Parmesean cheese and cracked black pepper. Each of were finished with a sprinkle of fleur de sel. Enjoy!
Make about 30 crackers
2/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
Toppings (use whatever combination you like)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
Fleur de Sel
cracked black pepper
1. Heat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Put the butter, sugar, salt, water and egg in a bowl and mix well.
3. Add the flour and mix quickly only until it holds together Do not overwork.
4. Roll the dough out 1/16 of an inch thick. Trim edges and cut into squares.
5. Sprinkle over the topping(s) and some fleur de sel on each.
6. Transfer to a baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes, or until puffed, crisp, and golden.