Kritsinia (Sesame-Covered Bread Sticks)
Recipe by www.Kalofagas.ca
These are the best bread sticks I've ever had. I think the key ingredient is the tahini...it becomes that little hint of a taste that you can't quite place but you absolutely love. I made these for my latest 7 Deadly Sins Dinner and I paired them with a lusicious array of cheeses. Make lots! My guests loved them and I know you will too. Enjoy!
1 tsp. of active dry yeast
2 Tbsp. of honey
3/4 cup of tepid (warm) water
1/4 cup Tahini
3/4 tsp. of fine sea salt
1 3/4 to 2 cups of all purpose flour
2 Tbsp. of Petimezi (grape molasses) diluted in 1/4 cup of water (or just water if you can’t find Petimezi)
1 1/3 cup of sesame seeds
1/4 cup black sesame seeds
1. In a large bowl, add the honey, tahini, yeast and tepid water and gently mix then allow to sit for 5 minutes. Add the salt and 1 1/2 cups of the flour and begin kneading with your hands (you may use a food processor). Keep on adding flour while kneading until the dough becomes smooth and no longer tacky (sticky). Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow for the to double in size (60 – 90 minutes).
2. Place your dough on a lightly floured work surface and simply flatten in with your hands. Cut the dough into 20 pieces and roll each piece into a ball (about the size of a walnut). Using your hands, roll the ball of dough into about 11-12 inches in length and to about the thickness of a pencil. Cut in half (repair the cut ends) and reserve on a tray. Continue to roll-out the remaining balls of dough and form and cut the Krtitsinia.
3. Prepare your dipping station: one bowl with the white and black sesame seeds mixed and another bowl with the Petimezi and water mixed in. Pre-heat your oven to 350F (middle rack) and place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking tray.
4. Dip each Kritsini in the Petimezi mixture and then place in the bowl with sesame seeds then roll in the seeds and place on your parchment-covered baking tray (keeping them as straight as possible). Do not allow more than 15 minutes to pass until they are baked as they will continue to rise (you want thin rolls)
5. Place in your pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes or until just golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in an air-tight container. Serve with coffee or tea, as a snack or breakfast.