Sweet and Spicy Almonds
Recipe by Dragon
These almonds are a perfect combination of sweet and spicy. The cayenne gives the almonds a wonderful warmth. I used almonds in this mix but you can use whatever nut mix you have on hand. Make plenty though, because they will disappear quickly. Enjoy!
Makes: 3 cups
2 tablespoons liquid honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups almonds
Fresh cracked pepper
Vegetable oil to grease the baking sheet
1. Preheat oven to 350 and place a baking rack in the center of the oven. Line a large baking sheet with foil and grease the foil with some vegetable oil.
2. In a saucepan over low heat, combine honey, oils, sugar, cayenne, chili and salt. Heat until well the sugar is melted. Stir often.
3. Add the almonds to the honey mixture and stir until the almonds are evenly coated.
4. Spread the almonds onto the baking sheet and make sure they are in a single layer.
5. Roast the almonds in the oven for 13-15 minutes; stirring frequently until they are nicely glazed. Watch the nuts carefully as they bake because they will burn quickly.
6. Remove the hot baking sheet from the oven and transfer the almonds to another baking sheet to cool. Sprinkle with freshly cracked black pepper. Cool completely.
7. Before serving the almonds, break apart any almonds that are stuck together.