Chili Sweet Potato Fries With Lime Mayonnaise
Recipe by Dragon
I know, I know, don't give me that look. Frying might not be the healthiest way to make sweet potato fries, but in my opinion, it is the best way. They are crunchy on the outside and warm and tender on the inside. As the great Julia Child once said, "Everything in moderation, including moderation." I wouldn't argue with Julia. Would you? The lime mayonnaise makes a delicious dip for these spicy fries. Enjoy, in moderation!
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Juice of 1 lime
Zest of 1 lime
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled
Vegetable oil for frying
4 cloves garlic (optional)
1. In a small bowl, mix together the kosher salt, pepper, chili and onion powder. Set aside.
2. Combine the mayonnaise, lime juice and lime zest. Stir until the mayonnaise iw well blended. Set aside.
3. Cut the sweet potatoes into long even spears.
4. Pour enough oil into a large saucepan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Add the garlic cloves to the oil. Set the pan over medium heat and heat the oil to 350°F. When the oil is ready, remove the garlic cloves.
5. Carefully drop the sweet potatoes into the hot oil (depending on the size of your pan, you might have to fry these in batches). Use a skimmer to turn the potatoes frequently and fry them for about 4-5 minutes, or just until they are golden brown. Transfer the fries to a paper towel lined baking sheet.
6. Sprinkle the fries lightly with spice mixture, turning the fries to make sure they are seasoned on both sides. Serve these fries hot with the lime mayonnaise and lime wedges.