Apple Cranberry Turnovers
Recipe by Dragon
These adult turnovers taste great with a Bailey's coffee or spiked apple cider. For a more kid friendly version, just replace the brandy with some orange juice. Enjoy!
Makes: 8 pastries
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon brandy
2 medium apples, chopped to 1/4 inch pieces
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
zest of a small orange
pinch of salt
2 sheets puff pastry sheets, thawed
2 tablespoons butter, cut into bits
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon milk
Course sugar to garnish
1. Combine the dried cranberries with the brandy and let it sit for 15 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 375F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. In a small bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, salt and orange zest. In another bowl mix cranberries, apples, brown sugar and maple syrup. Add the flour mixture to the apple mixture and make sure that everything is well coated.
4. Unfold the thawed pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface. Roll the each pastry into 10x10 inch sheets. Cut each sheet into 4 equal squares.
5. Divide the apple mixture among the squares, leaving a 1-inch border. Dot the mixture in each pastry with a little butter.
6. In a small bowl mix the beaten egg with the milk. Use a pastry brush to brush the egg mixture on the border of the pastry. Fold each pastry into a triangle, enclosing the filling, and crimp edges with a fork. Brush the tops of the pastries with more of the egg wash. Sprinkle the tops with some course sugar.
7. Bake turnovers for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool turnovers on a wire rack before serving.