Roasted Vegetable and Lemon Orzo With Baby Spinach
Recipe by Dragon
This is a wonderful vegetarian entrée. It is so delicious and substantial, I guarantee you will not be left feeling deprived. Feel free to get creative and use whatever vegetables you have on hand. The real key to this refreshing pasta is the lemon. Enjoy!
1 small eggplant, cut into chunks
1 small zucchini, cut into chunks
1 small red onion, cut into chunks
1 red pepper, cut into chunks
10 cremini mushrooms, quartered
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cup dried orzo
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup sliced green onions, sliced
10 grape tomatoes, halved
2 cups baby spinach
1/4 parsley, chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
Zest of 3 lemons
Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
Salt and pepper to taste
Handful of black olives, sliced to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Combine the eggplant, zucchini, onion, mushrooms, red pepper, garlic, rosemary and thyme in a bowl. Toss with enough olive oil to lightly coat the vegetables. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well and transfer to a foil lined cookie tray. Roast the vegetables for 20-25 minutes, turning after 10 minutes.
3. While the vegetables are roasting, cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and rinse the cooked pasta under cold water to stop the cooking. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine reserved orzo, roasted vegetables with green onions, grape tomatoes, baby spinach, parsley, olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice. Toss gently to mix.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with sliced olives.