Tuscan Shrimp with White Beans
Adapted from Michael Chiarello
My friend Tanya is in Italy right now and I'm so jealous. I hope she remembers to bring me back a present. Something shiny! I can't be there with her right now so, I thought I would visit Italy through my kitchen. This recipe blew me away.
3 cups canned white kidney beans
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
16 large shrimp, peeled (tail left on) and deveined 4 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
1 cup peeled, seeded and diced fresh tomato, canned or fresh
1 cup whole basil leaves
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Best-quality extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
1. Drain the beans over a bowl and reserve the liquid. Put the white beans in a large skillet with just enough of their liquid to moisten them.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and bring the beans to a low simmer. Keep them warm while you prepare the shrimp.
3. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the shrimp, season with salt and cook for about 1 minute, tossing frequently. Remove the shrimp with tongs to a bowl.
4. Add the garlic to the pan and saute until the garlic browns. Add chili flakes and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato and basil and stir briefly, then add the lemon juice.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 minute, and then stir in the shrimp. Toss well and cook briefly to reheat the shrimp. Remove the shrimp mixture to a plate and sprinkle with parsley.
6. Spoon the white beans on a platter or individual plates. Drizzle them with the best olive oil you have, and then top with the shrimp. Serve warm.