Saffron Risotto with Red Pepper and Crispy Leeks
Recipe by Dragon
Sometimes, the first time is the charm. Usually it takes a few attempts at a recipe before I think it's just right. With this one, it was perfect with the first try. Not bad, if I do say so myself. :) I love a warm, tender and creamy risotto. There is almost nothing better or more comforting I can think of to eat. I hope you enjoy it.
4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
1/4 teaspoon saffron
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup finely chopped leeks, sliced thinly
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup dry White wine
1/2 red pepper, finely diced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Salt to taste
1. Bring the broth and saffron to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover the broth and keep it over very low heat.
2. Melt the 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and saute until they have carmelized and are crispy. Remove the leeks reserve in a small bowl.
3. To the pan, stir in the garlic and red pepper. Saute for 30 seconds. Stir in the rice and cook for about 2 minutes until the rice is toasted.
3. Add the wine and stir until it is absorbed.
4. Add 3/4 cup of hot broth and simmer over medium-low heat until the liquid is absorbed. Stir often. Keep adding 3/4 cup of hot broth until all the broth is absorbed but the rice is tender and creamy.
5. Add the 1/2 cup of Parmesan and last tablespoon of butter. Stir until the cheese and butter have melted into the rice.
6. Season with salt to taste. Spoon the risotto into bowls. Sprinkle the top of the risotto with reserved crispy leeks.