Zucchini, Tomato and Herb Tart
Recipe by Dragon
I have been adding herbs to almost everything I make these days. I can't help it. They seem to be calling my name from the little garden. Who am I to deny them? For this refreshing zucchini and tomato tart I added basil, oregano and chives. I added parmesan cheese because I ran out of cheddar. I think I like it better with parmesan; it gives it a more sophisticated taste. If you desire a milder taste, use the cheddar. Enjoy!
Serves: 4 - 6
1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 1/2 tablespoons basil, chopped
1 teaspoon chives, chopped
2 teaspoons oregano, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large zucchini, cut into thin rounds
8 grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 Degrees.
2. Roll out puff pastry to 11"x11". Transfer the pastry to a 9 inch tart pan (with removable bottom). Trim the pastry around the edges but leave enough to take into account shrinkage during baking.
3. Combine the parmesan cheese, herbs and garlic.
4. Take 1/3 of the cheese and herb mixture and sprinkle it over the bottom of the tart pan. Arrange the zucchini slices in concentric cirles over the cheese to cover it. Season the zucchini with salt and pepper (easy on the salt as the parmesan cheese is salty). Repeat with one more layer of cheese and zucchini.
5. Toss the tomato halves in olive oil. Arrange the tomato on top of the second zucchini layer.
6. Combine the egg and cream. Pour egg mixture evenly over the top and let it sink into the tart. Top with last 1/3 of the cheese and herbs.
7. Bake the tart in the center rack of the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.