Lemon Butterfly Cupcakes
Recipe by Dragon
I made these adorable cupcakes for my niece's birthday. The lemon flavour is subtle so it's perfect for kids as well as adults. The kids loved the butterflies but I think the adults loved them even more.
Makes: 18 cupcakes
1 cup unsalted butter, soften
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup strawberry jam
18 thin slices of strawberries
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line muffin pans with paper muffin cups.
2. In large bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Add vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest and beat until combined.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. Beat in flour in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk.
5. Fill the muffin cups equally. You can fill the muffin cups so it almost comes up to the top. With the back of a spoon, smooth the tops so the cupcakes cooks evenly.
6. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until the tops start to turn golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Let them cool in the muffin pans for 5 minutes, then remove them from the muffin pans to cool completely on a wire rack.
7. Whip the cream to firm peaks. Using a sharp knife, cut shallow rounds from the top of each cupcake. Cut these rounds in half; these will be the butterfly wings. Spoon a teaspoon of strawberry jam into the cavity of each cupcake top. Cover the jam with a dollop of whipped cream.
8. Place a strawberry slice on top of the whipped cream to form the body. Add a blueberry at the top of the strawberry slice to form the head. Position two halves of cupcake tops on either side of the strawberry to resemble butterfly wings.
9. Dust the cupcakes with icing sugar before serving.