Port Caramel Sauce
Recipe by Dragon
There is something so comforting and dreamy about a homemade caramel sauce. It makes a great topping for ice creams, cakes and even donuts. I gave this classic recipe a Portuguese twist with the addition of Port. Add as much or as little Port as you like. My favouite way to use this caramel is with my Sonhos "Dreams" donuts. Enjoy!
Makes: 1 cup
1/2 cup heavy cream2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons Port
1. In small pan over medium high heat, add cream and butter. Heat until the butter is melted and cream is hot. Keep warm.
2. In a medium heavy bottom pan over medium high heat, combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Without stirring, allow the sugar mixture to boil until the sugar had reached a deep amber colour.
3. Remove caramel from the heat. Using a wooden spoon, slowly stir the reserved cream into the caramel. The caramel will bubble up so be careful.
4. Stir the caramel until it is smooth. After a couple of minutes, add the vanilla, salt and port.
5. Allow the sauce to cool (to warm or room temperature) before using. It will thicken as it cools.