I love to cook. I like playing with recipes and creating interesting and fun menus. Stay a while and look through my collection. I have also created some "Dragon's Own" recipes that I'm very proud of and I hope you'll enjoy.
Bolinhos de Laranja "Little Orange Cakes" Recipe by Dragon
I love the simplicity of Portuguese desserts. These little cakes have a lovely orange flavour and are so moist and delicate. They are perfect for an afternoon tea, wedding or baby shower. These little cakes are easy to make and be sure to make lots, they won't last long. Enjoy!
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
grated zest of 2 oranges
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup fresh orange juice
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 2 muffin pans.
2. In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and orange zest.
3. In a separate bowl combine eggs and sugar and beat with an electric mixer for 3 minutes or until the eggs are pale yellow and fall in ribbons. Stir in orange juice, butter and vanilla until well combined.
4. Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined. The mixture will froth a little. Pour the batter into the muffin cups filling them 3/4 of the way up.
5. Bake for 13-14 minutes or until the edges start to brown. Sprinkle the top of each cake with some sanding sugar and return pans to the oven. Turn the oven off and leave them in there for 2 minutes.
6. Allow the pans to cool 5 minutes then run a knife around the edge of each cake and gently unmold. Let the cakes cool completely.