Creamy Lemon Shrimp & Pea Risotto
Recipe by Dragon
This risotto is one of my favourite recipes....ever. It is creamy, fresh and so comforting. Risotto takes time, patience and a steady hand. It's an elegant dish that I like to serve as an appetizer to a special meal. I don't make it often and I serve this to only very special people. But for you, very special people, I will share the recipe. Enjoy!
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups shrimp broth *(see note)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
24 medium shrimp, peeled and cleaned
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup frozen peas
Zest of one lemon
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Paremesan cheese grated for garnish
* Note: I used the shrimp shells to make the broth by adding the shells to 2 cups of boiling water, a bay leaf, peppercorns and a pinch of salt. Cook broth for 5 minutes and strain.
1. Bring the chicken and shrimp broths to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover the broth and keep it warm over very low heat.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the shrimp and saute for 1 1/2 -2 minutes per side until shrimp is pink. Remove the shrimp and keep warm.
3. Add 1 more tablespoon of butter to the pan and then add the onions. Saute about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Stir in the rice and cook for about 2 minutes until the rice is toasted.
4. Add the wine and stir until it is absorbed, about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup of hot broth; simmer over medium-low heat until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often. Repeat, adding 1/2 cup of hot broth until all the broth is used up. Stir the rice until the rice is just tender and the mixture is creamy, about 5 minutes longer.
5 Stir in the peas and lemon zest until the peas are completely warmed through and risotto is fragrant with lemon. Add the 1/2 cup of Parmesan and last tablespoon of butter. Season to taste, with salt and pepper. Stir in reserved shrimp to warm up in the risotto. Sprinkle additional Parmesan over and serve.