Orange & Honey Madeleines
Recipe by Dragon
I added a Portuguese twist to this classic French cookie by adding two ingredients often used together in Portuguese baking, orange and honey. The two flavours work well together and a simple dusting of powdered sugar is all you need to finish these darlings off. I love these with a morning coffee, an afternoon tea or a midnight snack with milk...or just about any time of the day. Enjoy!
Makes 2 dozen
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup whole milk
zest of one orange
1 tablespoons orange juice
3 tablespoons honey
Confectioners sugar for dusting
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two Madeleine pans by brushing them with softened butter. Set aside.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
3. Put eggs, egg yolks, granulated sugar, vanilla, milk, orange zest, juice and honey in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and thickened, about 5 minutes. Add melted butter and mix until blended.
4. Gently fold the flour mixture into egg mixture. Don't over mix.
5. Spoon a rounded tablespoon of batter into each mold, filling it about two-thirds full. Bang the pans on the counter to remove bubbles.
6. Bake, switching position of pans halfway through baking and rotating 180 degrees, until the madeleines are golden around edges, 7-9 minutes.
7. Let cookies cool slightly in pans on wire racks. Invert, and unmold. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment in airtight containers at room temperature up to one day.