Recipe by Dragon
I'm in love with this Lemon Curd recipe. It was developed over several months of experimenting. I played with different amounts of eggs yolks, sugar and lemon juice to get it to my version of perfection.
This lemon curd not overly sweet because I wanted the freshness & tartness of the lemons to come shining through. My (not so) so secret ingredient is the splash of limoncello; it adds an unexpected note that makes this lemon curd special. Enjoy!
Makes: 1 cup
6 egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup of lemon juice
Splash of limoncello (optional)
Zest of 1/2 of lemon, finely grated
6 tablespoons butter, cold & cut into cubes
1. Prepare an ice water bath for the finished curd and set aside.
2. Add an inch of water to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat.
3. In a medium metal bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar until smooth. Whisk in salt, lemon juice, limoncello and lemon zest. Add the cold butter cubes.
4. Place bowl over the pan of simmering water and cook, whisking frequently until the butter is incorporated and the curd is thick; about 15 minutes.
5. Transfer the bowl to the ice water bath and leave it to cool, stirring occasionally.
6. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the cooled lemon curd and transfer the bowl to the refrigerator until it's completely cold (about 4 hours or overnight).