Black Bean, Tomato & Vegetable Soup
Recipe by Dragon, Inspired by Vegan Yum Yum
This soup is so full of flavour and freshness. I've made it several times, using whatever vegetables I have on hand. Try it with bok choy, kale or spinach. You'll have great results every time. This is my favourite flavour combination. Delicious and healthy - a complete meal in a bowl. Enjoy!
Serves: 2 - 4
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
1 small sweet potato, peeled & chopped into chunks
3 ribs of celery, chopped
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 14oz can of black beans, drain half the liquid
1 14oz can of diced tomatoes
3/4 cup liquid strained tomatoes
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 1/2 to 2 cups of chicken broth
Splash of cream (optional)
Diced red pepper for garnish (optional)
Chopped parsley & thyme for garnish (optional)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, cook for 1 minute.
2. Add sweet potato, celery & red peppers. Cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Add the black beans, diced tomatoes, strained tomatoes & herbs. Stir to combine.
4. Add the chicken broth and season with salt & pepper to taste. Cover the soup and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
5. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Stir in the cream, if using.
6. Serve the soup with a garnish of diced red peppers, parsley & thyme leaves.