Spiced Pumpkin Stew with Couscous
Recipe by Dragon
And the #GreatHallowTweet continues with, you guessed it, more pumpkin! This is a wonderful vegetarian fall dinner and it's even better the next day. Enjoy.
Serves: 4 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 cups fresh pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 cup dried cranberries
3 cups baby spinach
1/4 cup sliced almonds
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup couscous
1. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic, tomatoes, cinnamon stick, paprika,coriander, cumin and red pepper flakes. Cook for another 5 minutes.
2. Add the pumpkin and chickpeas. Bring to a simmer and cook partially covered until the pumpkin is tender, about 20 minutes. Add the cranberries and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick.
3. Stir in the baby spinach. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. For the couscous: In a glass bowl, combine the boiling water and couscous. Cover the bowl tightly with some plastic wrap. Set aside for 5 minutes or until the water is absorbed by the couscous. Fluff the couscous with a fork before serving.
5. Serve the stew over the couscous and top with the sliced almonds.