Watermelon, Cucumber, Kumato and Feta Salad
Adapted from lcbo.com
I love the colours in this salad. It just seems to scream summer, doesn't it? This was also my first time trying a kumato. A kumato is a variety of tomato that is grown in Europe. I think they taste a little sweeter than regular tomatoes and I adore the dark red/brown colour. If you can't find kumatoes, just use cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!
1 english cucumber
1 seedless watermelon wedge, 5 inches wide
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons mint leaves, shredded
2 tablespoons basil leaves, shredded
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1. There is no need to seed or peel the cumbers. Slice cucumber lengthwise then again lengthwise. Finally cut crosswise into chunks, about 1 inch in size.
2. Cut the kumatoes into 6ths then cut them in half.
3. Cut watermelon into the same size chunks as the cucumbers. Place the cucumbers, kumatoes and watermelon into a large bowl and toss gently.
4. Whisk together vinegar, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Drizzle the dressing over the salad. Add the mint, basil and feta. Toss gently to combine.
5. Serve at room temperature.