Chicken, Mushroom, Leek and Rice Soup
Recipe by Dragon
Chicken soup is one of the most warm and comforting foods you can eat when the weather outside is frightful. If you want to warm your stomach and possibly your soul, give this lovely soup a try. Am I overselling this? Nah. :) Enjoy!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 chicken breasts, cubed into 1 inch pieces
2 leeks, cleaned, cut into ¼ inch slices
5 cups mixed fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
¼ cup white wine (optional)
2/3 cup of long grain rice
8 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Sour cream or heavy cream to garnish
1. Heat olive oil and butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the chicken and sauté until the chicken is golden in colour. Season with some salt and pepper. Remove the chicken to a bowl and return the pot to the heat.
2. Add the leeks and garlic to the pot and cook for 3 minutes until softened. Add mushrooms and thyme leaves and cook for another 3 minutes. Add wine (if using) and cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Add the chicken, rice and broth to the pot and raise the heat to high. Bring to a boil, stir and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook for another 20-30 minutes until the rice is fully cooked. Add parsley at the end so it retains it green colour.
4. Taste the soup and adjust the salt and pepper to your liking.
5. To serve, ladle into a bowl and garnish with a dollop of sour cream or a generous splash heavy cream.