Sweet Potato, Leek and Bacon Soup
Recipe by Dragon
It seems that I can't get enough of warm, comforting soups these days. Every time Fall comes around, soup is the only thing I want to eat. I just love the balance of sweet and savoury in this soup. Did I mention it has crispy bacon? Bacon, people! Enjoy!
12 strips of bacon, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 leek, sliced
1 1/2 leeks, chopped roughly
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup white wine
2 tablespoons sage, chopped finely
3 largish sweet potoatoes, peeled, chopped into 2 inch pieces
3 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup milk
1. Cook the bacon pieces over medium heat until the bacon is crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a bowl lined with paper towels. Reserve.
2. Add the sliced leeks to the bacon drippings and cook until the leeks are caramelized and crispy. Remove leeks with a slotted spoon to a bowl lined with paper towels. Reserve.
3. Add one tablespoon of butter and rest of the leeks. Cook for 3 minutes to soften the leeks.
4. Add wine, sage and sweet potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes or until most of the wine has evaporated.
5. Add chicken broth and water. Simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes.
6. Purée soup in 2 batches in a blender (hot liquid, be careful!) until very smooth, about 1 minute per batch, then transfer to cleaned pan.
7. Bring soup to a simmer and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add milk and stir until blended.
8. Serve with a generous garnish of the bacon and crispy leeks.