Potato, Leek and Gruyère Tart
Recipe by Dragon
This recipe was inspired by a comment on my Zucchini, Tomato and Herb Tart from one of my readers, Dee from Choos & Chews. Dee said that in her tarts she uses bacon and leeks. This got my mind racing with ideas and this is what I came up with. It's really delicious. Thanks Dee!
Serves: 4 - 6
1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
4 stips of bacon, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
3 pototoes, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin)
2 leeks, cleaned, top halves removed, sliced thinly 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
1/2 tablespoon thyme, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 Degrees.
2. Roll out puff pastry to 11"x11". Transfer the pastry to a 9 inch tart pan (with removable bottom). Tuck in the pastry around the edges but leave enough to take into account shrinkage during baking.
3. In a medium pan, saute the bacon pieces over medium/high heat. Once crisp, remove the pieces to a bowl.
4. To the bacon fat, add the potatoes and leeks. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes until the leeks are translucent.
5. Add cooked bacon and herbs to the pan and stir gently to combine. Remove from the heat.
6. Add the pototo mixture to the tart shell and spred evenly.
7. In a new bowl, whisk together eggs, mustard, cream and cheese. Pour evenly over the potatoes.
8. Garnish the top of the tart with sliced red peppers and season with fresh cracked pepper.
9. Bake the tart in the center rack of the oven for 45-50 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.