Adapted from David Lebovitz
This recipe is a cross between Dave Lebovitz’s Lime Sorbet and Mojito Granita. It was so cool and refreshing that I almost ate the whole batch in one sitting. Almost. Good thing sorbets are low in fat. Right?
Makes: 1 quart
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup tightly packed mint leaves
1/2 cup lime juice (about 6 limes)
6 tablespoons light rum
1. Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan, then grate the zest from 2 limes directly into the saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Add the mint leaves to the sugar water mixture and remove from heat. Let the mixture come to room temperature.
3. Once cooled, strain the mixture into a bowl, squeezing the liquid out of the mint leaves. Discard the mint leaves.
4. Chill sugar water mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.
5. Mix in the lime juice and Rum. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
6. Freeze sorbet until you are ready to use it. Take the sorbet out of the freezer 5 minutes before you serve it to allow the sorbet to soften.