Saffron Scented Chicken Pilaf
2 chicken breasts, diced
100g natural yogurt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of saffron
4 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
500g Basmati rice
1 lemon, zest and juice
3-4 cardamom pods
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup flaked almonds
1 tablespoon olive oil, extra
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 slivered almonds
1. Marinate chicken breast in yogurt and cinnamon in the refrigerator for a few hours.
2. Stir saffron into chicken stock and set aside.
3. Add butter and oil to a large pan. Add rice and stir until coated.
4. Add stock/saffron and the zest and juice of 1 lemon. Add cardamom pods and stir well.
Cover and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
5. Toast pine nuts and flaked almonds in a dry frypan until they are golden, set aside.
6. Take chicken out of marinade and place on a paper towel to absorb some of the marinade.
7. Add oil to frypan and fry chicken until golden.
8. Fluff up rice with a fork, grains should be separated. Add chicken and the toasted nuts to the rice and toss with two forks.
9. Sprinkle the remaining parsley and slivered almonds over the top and serve.