Grilled Calamari With Tomato Olive Salsa
8 pieces fresh calamari, cleaned, ends removed
1/4 cup olive oil
Juice of one lemon
1/4 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Tomato Olive Salsa
6 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 red onion, finely diced
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
2 tbsp capers
1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp each salt and peppe
1. Preheat grill or barbeque.
2. Make slits in each calamari, at 1 cm intervals, but do not cut right through into separate into rings. (This will prevent the calamari from curling up when it is grilled).
3. In a non-reactive bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Marinate calamari marinate for only 5-10 minutes.
4. Grill calamari, 3 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove to a plate. Top calamari with salsa and serve.
5. In a non-reactive bowl, stir together tomatoes, onion, olives, capers, basil, garlic and lemon zest, salt and pepper.